John Dewey Learning Academy
John Dewey Learning Academy (JDLA) is a special purpose program that predominantly serves special education and at-risk students from the following districts in Northeast Kansas:
- USD 338 Valley Falls
- USD 341 Jefferson West
- USD 339 Jefferson County North
- USD 342 Oskaloosa
- USD 342 McLouth
- USD 343 Perry-Lecompton
- USD 377 Atchison County Community
- USD 449 Easton
The mission of JDLA is to provide an authentic, nurturing and academically challenging learning environment for students that struggle in the traditional academic setting. The program is designed to help students connect with the world outside of school setting in a meaningful way. Promoting a positive sense of community, enthusiasm for learning, critical thinking/problem solving and social emotional resiliency are the heart of the JDLA program.
At the core of this mission is an authentic pedagogy –service learning- where students are reinforcing educational concepts while performing service that meets the real community needs. Our goal is that students who attend JDLA come to see themselves as productive members of society.
JDLA’s program is based on our desire to provide students with the following:
- A safe and supportive learning environment
- Learning opportunities that reflect the student’s current achievement level and interests.
- Academics that provide students the opportunity to progress in their learning.
- Opportunities for students to learn and develop positive behaviors that contribute to success in all settings.
If interested, any potential stakeholders have the ability to participate in the development, review update and implementation of the Local School Wellness Policy.
500 E. Sunflower Blvd.
Ozawkie, Kansas 66070
(785) 876-2357 Direct Line
(785) 876-2214 Keystone
Facebook: John Dewey‐Jdla